The Ardmore Fire Department is a career department of 33 firefighters and 1 administrative secretary manning 3 stations with a 56 square mile response area. The firefighters work in 3 shifts, each working 24 hours on and 48 hours off.
Insurance Services Office Class
The department maintains an Insurance Services Office class rating of 4 and the Department's Fire Marshal's office provides a full range of Fire Prevention and Arson Investigation services.
Fire Department History
On April 19, 1895 a fire which started in the Harper and Cecil Livery stable on North Caddo (A St. NE) almost completely consumed the young City of Ardmore. In a wake of this tragedy the Ardmore Fire Department was founded as a 25 member volunteer fire department and the first horse drawn steam pumper engine was purchased for $1,800.
The operation of the department changed little until 1915 when a railroad car load of casing head gas exploded in the downtown rail yard destroying much of downtown Ardmore. This event marked the beginning of growth for the Ardmore Fire Department. Since 1915 the department has seen many advances in technology, training, and equipment.
The Ardmore Fire Department now operates out of 3 fire stations strategically located throughout the city and 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, stands ready to serve the citizens of Ardmore.
Fire Department Services Fire Suppression Branch
Structural and wild land fires
First Response EMS services
Vehicle extraction and mechanical rescue
Limited hazardous material response
Fire Marshall Branch
Life safety inspections
Plan review new construction
Fire arson investigation
Fire safety analysis for business and home
Issuing Burn Permits
Code compliance for industry
Public fire safety education
Shift Commander Darin Butler and Joey Allen doing water rescue training.